Cookies are small text files that are sent to or accessed from your web browser or your device’s memory. A cookie typically contains the name of the domain (internet location) from which the cookie originated, the “lifetime” of the cookie (i.e. when it expires) and a randomly generated unique number or another identifier. A cookie will also contain information about your device, such as user settings, browsing history and activities conducted while using the Site and Applications.
We use other similar technologies (which are also called cookies for the purposes of this policy) such as web beacons (also called pixel tags or clear gifs), tracking URLs, software development kits (SDKs) and local storage on the Site and Applications.
- Web beacons are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognise when someone has visited the Site and/or Application, opened an e-mail that Burberry has sent them and verify any clicks through to links within the email. We use this information for certain purposes including determining which of our emails are relevant to you and reviewing engagement with our emails.
- Tracking URLs are custom generated links that help us understand where the traffic to the Site and/or Application comes from.
- SDKs are small pieces of code within apps (including any Application), which function like cookies and web beacons.
- Local storage is technology which allows a website to store and retrieve data from your browser. We use local storage to more efficiently manage the temporary storage of information relating to our Site. You can control the use of local storage using your browser settings.
First-party cookies are placed on your device directly by our Site. Burberry uses first-party cookies to, for example, adapt the Site to your browser’s language preferences and to better understand your use of the Site.
Third-party cookies are placed on your device by our selected partners and service providers. Burberry uses third-party cookies to, for example, measure user numbers on the Site, to allow you to chat to a customer service representative and to enable you to share content with others across social media platforms.
When you visit the Site, essential cookies will be set on your device. Other cookie types (as listed below) will also be set on your device if you choose to accept them.
Cookie type What does it do? Essential cookies
These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through the Site and to use some of its features, such as access to secure areas. They perform functions like:
- ensuring the Site pages load quickly; and
- preventing any fraudulent payment activity.
These cookies are used for analytics purposes including to help us understand how the Site is being used, how effective our advertising and email marketing campaigns are (by tracking the open rate of our emails and clicks on links or products in our emails), and to help us customise and improve the Site for our visitors.
These cookies enable the Site to provide enhanced functionality and personalisation for you. They will be set by us or by third party providers whose services we have added to the Site. They perform functions like:
- identifying the appropriate size and fit of our products to you;
- recommending similar products for you based on the products added to your shopping bag;
- remembering the products added to your shopping bag if you leave and then return to the Site; and
- enabling a live chat session with one of our customer services representatives.
These cookies are used to make marketing messages more relevant to you and deliver advertising to you on third party platforms. They perform functions like:
- preventing the same advertisement from continuously reappearing;
- ensuring that advertisements are properly displayed;
- selecting advertisements that are based on your interests; and
- measuring the number of advertisements displayed and their performance, such as how many times you clicked on a given advertisement.
Social networking cookies
These cookies are used on certain pages of the Site to enable you to share pages and content that you find interesting on the Site through third-party social networking (such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) and other websites. Some of these cookies will be used for advertising purposes too. To learn more about social media cookies, you should also refer to your social media platform’s Cookie Notice and Privacy Notice.
In order to ensure you can view a list of the cookies Burberry uses (including identifying which cookies are first-party or third-party) we use a cookie management tool, which you can access by clicking here.
The lifespan of the cookies we use differs depending on the category of cookies. For example, session cookies only last until you close your browser. Persistent cookies have a longer lifespan and aren’t automatically deleted when you close your browser. Our persistent cookies allow us to recognise you between visits, for example by remembering your preferred settings such as language and country , or are generally used to tailor our content to your preferences.
Generally, each category of cookies are set on your browser for the following time periods:
- the browsing session – these cookies expire when you close your browser;
- the short term – these cookies expire within 1 month or less. Some of these cookies are used to remember you and products you are interested in for subsequent visits in the short term;
- short to medium term - these cookies last between 1 month and 1 year. Some of these cookies are used to remember your language and the country in which you are based, to facilitate product recommendations in future visits, and to tailor advertising based on your interests;
- longer term – these cookies expire over 1 year after being set, and are generally used to recognise you across devices, to integrate with third party tools such as social networking sites and to facilitate our understanding of how the Site is used across a longer period.
session short term (1 month) short-medium term (1-12 months) longer term (beyond 12 months) Essential Analytics Functionality Advertising/Targeting Social networking
Further details on Google cookies and cookies used for interest-based advertising
Google™ Maps API Cookies
Some features of the Site and Application rely on the use of Google™ Maps API Cookies. Such cookies will be stored on your device.
Google™ manages the information and your choices pertaining to Google™ Maps API Cookies via an interface separate from that supplied by your browser. For more information, please see https://www.google.com/policies/technologies/cookies/.
Interest-based advertising cookies will be placed on your device, if you choose to accept advertising cookies, by our third-party service providers. These cookies will remember your web browsing activity and group together your interests in order to send you targeted advertisements which are relevant to you. We use interest-based advertising to keep you informed of new Burberry campaigns, products and services. We manage this through a variety of digital marketing networks and advertisement exchanges and use a range of advertising technologies, which may include profiling (as explained below).
If interest-based advertising cookies are set on your device when you visit the Site, you will see Burberry banners and advertisements when you are on other websites and applications. These banners and advertisements are based on a combination of the information we and our service providers hold about you, your previous use of websites including the Site (such as your search history and the content you view on the Site) or on any banners or advertisements you have previously clicked on. Information such as your browsing and purchase activity may be used by the digital marketing networks and advertisement exchanges to infer certain things about you (such as your age and gender) in order to create a profile about you to reflect your preferences, characteristics, behaviour and attitudes. Burberry doesn’t obtain this information, but our third-party service providers may use this information to make advertising more relevant to you, personalise our services and to better understand the interests and preferences of our customers.
You can set and modify your cookie preferences at any time by using the Cookie Management Preference Tool available .
Browser and device controls
Some web browsers provide settings that allow you to control or reject cookies or to alert you when a cookie is placed on your computer. The procedure for managing cookies is slightly different for each internet browser. You can check the specific steps in your particular browser help menu.
You may also be able to reset device identifiers by activating the appropriate setting on your mobile device. The procedure for managing device identifiers is slightly different for each device. You can check the specific steps in the help or settings menu of your particular device.
Interest-based advertising tools
You can opt out of seeing online interest-based advertising from companies that participate in opt-out programs through the Digital Advertising Alliance, the Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance or Appchoices (apps only).
The changes you make to your cookie preferences may make browsing the Site a less satisfying experience. In some cases, you may even find yourself unable to use parts of the Site.
Opting out of the placement of advertising cookies does not mean you will not see advertisements – it means you won’t see personalised advertising.
Note that if you use browser or device controls and/or if you delete or clear cookies on your device after you have modified your cookie preferences, the next time you visit the Site our cookies banner will appear and you will need to select your preferences again. Please therefore ensure that your preferences contained in the Cookie Management Preference Tool are up to date.