Last updated: March 2023
WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are small text files that are sent to or accessed from your web browser or your device’s memory. A cookie typically contains the name of the domain (internet location) from which the cookie originated, the “lifetime” of the cookie (i.e. when it expires) and a randomly generated unique number or another identifier. A cookie will also contain information about your device, such as user settings, browsing history and activities conducted while using the Site and Applications.
DOES BURBERRY USE OTHER SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES?
We use other similar technologies (which are also called cookies for the purposes of this policy) such as web beacons (also called pixel tags or clear gifs), tracking URLs, software development kits (SDKs) and local storage on the Site and Applications.
- Web beacons are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognise when someone has visited the Site and/or Application, opened an e-mail that Burberry has sent them and verify any clicks through to links within the email. We use this information for certain purposes including determining which of our emails are relevant to you and reviewing engagement with our emails.
- Tracking URLs are custom generated links that help us understand where the traffic to the Site and/or Application comes from.
- SDKs are small pieces of code within apps (including any Application), which function like cookies and web beacons.
- Local storage is technology which allows a website to store and retrieve data from your browser. We use local storage to more efficiently manage the temporary storage of information relating to our Site. You can control the use of local storage using your browser settings.
WHO CAN DROP COOKIES ON MY DEVICE?
First-party cookies are placed on your device directly by our Site. Burberry uses first-party cookies to, for example, adapt the Site to your browser’s language preferences and to better understand your use of the Site.
Third-party cookies are placed on your device by our selected partners and service providers. Burberry uses third-party cookies to, for example, measure user numbers on the Site, to allow you to chat to a customer service representative and to enable you to share content with others across social media platforms.
When you visit the Site, essential cookies will be set on your device. Other cookie types (as listed below) will also be set on your device if you choose to accept them.
|Cookie Type||What does it do?|
These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through the Site and to use some of its features, such as access to secure areas.
They perform functions like:
These cookies are used for analytics purposes including to help us understand how the Site and tools on the Site are being used, how effective our advertising and email marketing campaigns are (by tracking the open rate of our emails and clicks on links or products in our emails), and to help us customise and improve our services and user experience on the Site (including when using tools on the Site).
These cookies enable us to provide enhanced functionality and personalisation for you on our Site or otherwise. They will be set by us or by third party providers whose services perform functions like:
These cookies are used to make marketing messages more relevant to you and deliver advertising to you, including on third party platforms.
They perform functions like:
We may also use data derived and collected from tools on our Site in order to support and enhance how we personalise our services for you.
In order to ensure you can view a list of the cookies Burberry uses (including identifying which cookies are first-party or third-party) we use a cookie management tool. See the cookies we use on our Site by clicking here.
HOW LONG ARE COOKIES SET FOR AND HOW LONG WILL BURBERRY HOLD ANY COOKIE DATA?
The lifespan of the cookies we use differs depending on the category of cookies. For example, session cookies only last until you close your browser. Persistent cookies have a longer lifespan and aren’t automatically deleted when you close your browser. Our persistent cookies allow us to recognise you between visits, for example by remembering your preferred settings such as language and country , or are generally used to tailor our content to your preferences.
Generally, each category of cookies are set on your browser for the following time periods:
- the browsing session - these cookies expire when you close your browser;
- the short term - these cookies expire within 1 month or less. Some of these cookies are used to remember you and products you are interested in for subsequent visits in the short term;
- short to medium term - these cookies last between 1 month and 1 year. Some of these cookies are used to remember your language and the country in which you are based, to facilitate product recommendations in future visits, and to tailor advertising based on your interests;
- longer term - these cookies expire over 1 year after being set, and are generally used to recognise you across devices, to integrate with third party tools such as social networking sites and to facilitate our understanding of how the Site is used across a longer period.
(beyond 12 months)
Google™ Maps API Cookies
Some features of the Site and Application rely on the use of Google™ Maps API Cookies. Such cookies will be stored on your device.
Google™ manages the information and your choices pertaining to Google™ Maps API Cookies via an interface separate from that supplied by your browser. For more information, please see https://www.google.com/policies/technologies/cookies/.
INTERNET-BASED ADVERTISING AND PROFILING
Interest-based advertising cookies will be placed on your device, if you choose to accept advertising cookies, by our third-party service providers. These cookies will remember your web browsing activity and group together your interests in order to send you targeted advertisements which are relevant to you. We use interest-based advertising to keep you informed of new Burberry campaigns, products and services. We manage this through a variety of digital marketing networks and advertisement exchanges and use a range of advertising technologies, which may include profiling (as explained below).
If interest-based advertising cookies are set on your device when you visit the Site, you will see Burberry banners and advertisements when you are on other websites and applications. These banners and advertisements are based on a combination of the information we and our service providers hold about you, your previous use of websites including the Site (such as your search history and the content you view on the Site) or on any banners or advertisements you have previously clicked on. Information such as your browsing and purchase activity may be used by the digital marketing networks and advertisement exchanges to infer certain things about you (such as your age and gender) in order to create a profile about you to reflect your preferences, characteristics, behaviour and attitudes. Burberry doesn’t obtain this information, but our third-party service providers may use this information to make advertising more relevant to you, personalise our services and to better understand the interests and preferences of our customers.
HOW CAN I CONTROL COOKIES?
You can set and modify your cookie preferences at any time by using the Cookie Management Preference Tool available here.
Browser and device controls
Some web browsers provide settings that allow you to control or reject cookies or to alert you when a cookie is placed on your computer. The procedure for managing cookies is slightly different for each internet browser. You can check the specific steps in your particular browser help menu.
You may also be able to reset device identifiers by activating the appropriate setting on your mobile device. The procedure for managing device identifiers is slightly different for each device. You can check the specific steps in the help or settings menu of your particular device.
Interest-based advertising tools
You can opt out of seeing online interest-based advertising from companies that participate in opt-out programs through the Digital Advertising Alliance, the Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance or Appchoices (apps only).
WHAT HAPPENS IF I DISABLE COOKIES?
The changes you make to your cookie preferences may make browsing the Site a less satisfying experience. In some cases, you may even find yourself unable to use parts of the Site.
Opting out of the placement of advertising cookies does not mean you will not see advertisements – it means you won’t see personalised advertising.
Note that if you use browser or device controls and/or if you delete or clear cookies on your device after you have modified your cookie preferences, the next time you visit the Site our cookies banner will appear and you will need to select your preferences again. Please therefore ensure that your preferences contained in the Cookie Management Preference Tool are up to date.
HOW DO I CONTACT BURBERRY?
- Email: Customer Services at email@example.com or our Data Protection Officer (DPO) at DPO@burberry.com
- Write to us: The DPO, Horseferry House, Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2AW
- Call us: +44 (0) 20 3402 1444